Khon Kaen is a city in northeastern Thailand known for its rich cultural heritage, delicious food, and beautiful natural scenery.
Things to see and do:
- Visit the Khon Kaen National Museum, which displays artefacts and information about the history and culture of the region.
- Take a stroll through the charming historic centre of the city and explore the many temples and shrines.
- Go for a hike in the nearby Phu Wiang National Park, where you can see rare wildlife and admire the beautiful natural scenery.
- Take a cooking class and learn how to make traditional Thai dishes.
- Shop for souvenirs and local handicrafts at the night market.
Food and drink:
- Try the local speciality of Khao niaw, a sticky rice dish served with various toppings.
- Enjoy delicious Thai curries with rice or noodles, such as green or red curry.
- For a sweet treat, try the traditional dessert of Khao tom mat, made from sticky rice and banana.
- Taste the local Thai beer, such as Chang or Singha.
- Khon Kaen is a relatively small city, and it is easy to get around on foot or by bicycle.
- Tuk-tuks are also widely available for hire and are a fun way to explore the city.
- Public buses and songthaews (shared taxis) are also available, but they may not be as convenient for tourists.
Best time to visit:
- The best time to visit Khon Kaen is during the cool season, from November to February, when the weather is mild and pleasant.
- Be aware that Khon Kaen is a relatively conservative city, so it’s a good idea to dress modestly and respect local customs and traditions.
- Learn some basic Thai phrases before you go, which will help you communicate with the locals.
- Please bring your passport with you as it is needed for ID in most places.
How many days in Khon Kaen is enough?
The amount of time needed to experience Khon Kaen entirely will vary depending on your interests and the activities you plan to do. However, 3-4 days in Khon Kaen is enough to see the main sights, try the local food, and explore the surrounding area.
This will give you enough time to visit the Khon Kaen National Museum, hike in the Phu Wiang National Park, and shop at the night market. Stay longer if you’re interested in taking a cooking class or visiting nearby temples.
What is the hottest month in Khon Kaen?
The hottest month in Khon Kaen, is typically April. The average high temperature during this month is around 37 degrees Celsius (98.6 degrees Fahrenheit).
Does it rain a lot in Khon Kaen?
Khon Kaen is located in northeastern Thailand and has a tropical savanna climate. The city experiences a wet season from May to October, during which most of its annual rainfall occurs.
However, the remaining months of the year are relatively dry. So it rains a lot during the wet season, but less during the dry season.
What to wear in Khon Kaen?
The best advice for what to wear in Khon Kaen, is to dress in lightweight, loose-fitting, and breathable clothing. Since the weather is hot and humid year-round, it is recommended to wear light cotton or linen clothing.
Avoid wearing heavy fabrics like denim, as they can be uncomfortable in the heat. It’s also a good idea to bring a hat or an umbrella to protect yourself from the sun.
Also, if you’re planning to visit temples or other religious sites, it’s essential to be aware of dress codes and dress modestly, covering your shoulders and knees.