Songkhla is a province in southern Thailand known for its beautiful beaches, rich culture, and delicious local food.
- Hat Yai: The largest city in Songkhla, Hat Yai is a popular destination for shopping and street food. Visitors can explore the bustling night market and try delicious Thai street food.
- Samila Beach: Known for its crystal-clear water and white sandy beach, Samila Beach is a popular spot for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.
- Songkhla Old Town: This historic area is home to many well-preserved traditional Chinese and Malay-style houses and is a great place to explore local culture and history.
- Khao Nam Khang: This mountain is known for its beautiful hiking trails, waterfalls, and scenic views.
- Island hopping: Songkhla is a great starting point for island hopping trips to nearby islands such as Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Koh Tao.
- Snorkelling and diving: The clear waters around Songkhla offer excellent opportunities for snorkelling and diving, with many marine life species to be seen.
- Shopping: Hat Yai is a great place to shop for local products such as silk, batik, and traditional crafts.
- Food tours: Songkhla is known for its delicious local food, and visitors can take a food tour to try traditional Southern Thai dishes.
- The best way to get to Songkhla is by taking a flight to Hat Yai International Airport and then taking a bus or taxi to the city.
- Public transportation in the city includes buses, tuk-tuks, and songthaews (local pick-up trucks).
- There is a wide variety of accommodation options in Songkhla, including budget-friendly guesthouses, mid-range hotels, and luxury resorts.
- Many hotels and resorts are located near the beach, making them perfect for a relaxing beach vacation.
- Songkhla is known for its delicious seafood, so try some local specialities, such as the Kling (spicy dry curry) and gaeng som (sour curry).
- Hat Yai is also famous for its street food; you can find various delicious Thai food.
- Songkhla has a tropical climate with warm temperatures and high humidity year-round. The best time to visit is during the cool season, between November and February.
It’s worth noting that Songkhla is predominantly a Muslim-majority area, and visitors should be mindful of local customs and dress modestly when visiting religious sites.
Best time to visit Songkhla?
The best time to visit Songkhla, is during the cool season, between November and February. During this time, the weather is pleasant, with low humidity and temperatures averaging around 30°C (86°F). Unfortunately, this is also the peak tourist season so you can expect more crowded beaches and busy tourist areas.
Between March and May, the hot season can be pretty humid, and temperatures can reach 35°C (95°F). The rainy season is between June and October. While it can be hot and humid, it also brings heavy rain and potential flooding, making it difficult to get around and enjoy outdoor activities.
It’s worth noting that the monsoon season can vary yearly, so it’s best to check the weather forecast before planning a trip and be prepared for changes. If you’re visiting Songkhla during the rainy season, pack a rain jacket and be ready for some disruptions in transportation and outdoor activities.
How many days in Songkhla is enough?
The time needed to visit Songkhla, depends on your travel style and interests. However, 3-4 days is enough to see the main sights and experience the city’s culture. If you want to take day trips or explore the surrounding area more thoroughly, plan for a more extended stay.
What is the hottest month in Songkhla?
The hottest month in Songkhla, in April. This month, the average temperature is around 35 degrees Celsius (95 degrees Fahrenheit) with high humidity. It’s generally considered the peak of the hot season, and the weather can be uncomfortable for some people. Therefore, it’s usually advisable to only travel during this month if you’re used to hot and humid weather.
Does it rain a lot in Songkhla?
The rainy season in Songkhla, usually starts in May and lasts until October. During this time, the city experiences more frequent and heavier rainfall. However, it’s worth noting that the rain does not fall continuously during this time. There are also sunny and dry days. Therefore, it’s always best to check the weather forecast for the specific dates of your trip and pack accordingly.
What to wear in Songkhla?
When visiting Songkhla, it’s essential to dress appropriately for the hot and humid weather. Here are a few tips for what to wear:
- Light, breathable clothing made of natural fibres, such as cotton or linen, is best. Avoid synthetic fabrics, which can trap heat and make you feel uncomfortable.
- Bring a hat and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun.
- Pack a lightweight rain jacket or umbrella, as it can rain unexpectedly during the rainy season.
- Wear comfortable shoes, as you will probably do a lot of walking; sandals or light sneakers are recommended.
- For women visiting temples or other religious sites, it’s essential to dress modestly. This means covering your shoulders and knees and avoiding revealing clothing.
- Pack a swimsuit if you plan to visit any of the beaches in the area
Overall, dress comfortably and remember that you’ll be experiencing a tropical climate.