Surat Thani, also known as the “City of Good People,” is located in the southern region of Thailand and is a popular tourist destination.
- Khao Sok National Park: This beautiful park is home to various flora and fauna, including elephants, tigers, and monkeys. Visitors can go on jungle treks, rafting trips, and overnight camping expeditions.
- Wat Phra Boromathat Chaiya: This ancient Buddhist temple is known for its intricate carvings and beautiful architecture.
- Surat Thani City Pillar Shrine: This ancient shrine is considered one of the most important religious sites in Surat Thani and is a must-see for history buffs.
- Bandon: This charming fishing village is located on the coast of Surat Thani and is known for its delicious seafood and beautiful sunsets.
- Island hopping: Surat Thani is a great starting point for island hopping trips to nearby islands such as Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Koh Tao.
- Elephants: Visitors can interact with elephants at one of the many elephant sanctuaries in the area and learn about the conservation efforts to protect these animals.
- Rafting: The rivers in Khao Sok National Park are perfect for white water rafting and kayaking.
- Meditation: Many Buddhist temples in Surat Thani offer meditation classes to visitors.
- The best way to get to Surat Thani is by taking a flight to Surat Thani Airport and then taking a bus or taxi to the city.
- Public transportation in the city includes buses, tuk-tuks, and songthaews (local pick-up trucks).
- There is a wide variety of accommodation options in Surat Thani, including budget-friendly guesthouses, mid-range hotels, and luxury resorts.
- Many hotels and resorts are located near the beach, making them perfect for a relaxing beach vacation.
- Surat Thani is known for its delicious seafood, so try some local specialities, such as tom yum Goong (spicy shrimp soup) and pla pao (grilled fish).
- The city also offers many street food options and local markets where visitors can try different types of Thai food.
- Surat Thani has a tropical climate with warm temperatures and high humidity year-round. The best time to visit is during the cool season, between November and February.
Best time to visit Surat Thani?
The best time to visit Surat Thani, is during the cool season, between November and February. During this time, the weather is pleasant, with low humidity and temperatures averaging around 30°C (86°F). However, this is also the peak tourist season so you can expect more crowded beaches and busy tourist areas.
Between March and May, the hot season can be pretty humid, and temperatures can reach 35°C (95°F). The rainy season is between June and October. While it can be hot and humid, it also brings heavy rain and potential flooding, making it difficult to get around and enjoy outdoor activities.
It’s worth noting that the monsoon season can vary yearly, so it’s best to check the weather forecast before planning a trip and be prepared for changes.
How many days in Surat Thani is enough?
The duration of your trip to Surat Thani, will depend on your interests and the activities you would like to do.
If you only want to see the main attractions in the city, such as Wat Phra Boromathat Chaiya and the Surat Thani City Pillar Shrine, then 2-3 days would be enough.
If you also want to visit Khao Sok National Park and go on a jungle trek or rafting trip, 4-5 days would be better.
If you also want to visit nearby islands such as Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Koh Tao, and do some island hopping, then 6-7 days would be ideal.
Additionally, if you’re interested in participating in activities like visiting elephant sanctuaries or going on a meditation retreat, you should stay longer.
It depends on what you want to see and do in Surat Thani, but generally, 3-7 days is enough to see and enjoy the main attractions and activities in the city and nearby areas.
What is the hottest month in Surat Thani?
The hottest month in Surat Thani, is typically April. During this month, temperatures can reach up to 35°C (95°F) with high humidity. This is considered the hottest period of the year, and it’s essential to take precautions to stay calm and hydrated during this time.
The rest of the months in Surat Thani have a similar tropical climate with warm temperatures and high humidity. The rainy season is between June and October, and during this time, it can be hot and humid with heavy rain and potential flooding.
It’s worth noting that the weather in Surat Thani can vary yearly, so it’s best to check the forecast before planning a trip and be prepared for changes.
Does it rain a lot in Surat Thani?
Yes, Surat Thani, experiences a rainy season between June and October, during which the area receives significant rainfall. During this time, heavy rain and thunderstorms are common, and there is a risk of flooding in some areas. In addition, the rain can cause disruptions in transportation and make it more difficult to enjoy outdoor activities.
It’s worth noting that the monsoon season can vary yearly, so it’s best to check the weather forecast before planning a trip and be prepared for changes. The rest of the year is relatively dry, with the least rain from November to February, considered the cool season.
Even though it rains a lot during the rainy season, it doesn’t mean it rains all day. Often it could rain for a couple of hours in the afternoon or evening. This could also mean that the temperature is cooler and more pleasant.
What to wear in Surat Thani?
When visiting Surat Thani, it’s best to dress in light, comfortable clothing that will keep you cool in the warm, tropical climate.
- Lightweight, breathable fabrics such as cotton and linen are ideal for the hot weather.
- Loose-fitting clothing will also help keep you cool and comfortable.
- Bring long-sleeved shirts and pants to protect yourself from the sun during outdoor activities.
- A hat or other head covering can also help to protect your face and head from the sun.
During the rainy season, it’s a good idea to bring a waterproof jacket or umbrella, as well as a change of clothes, as it could rain unexpectedly.
When visiting temples or other religious sites, it’s essential to dress modestly. This means covering your shoulders and knees and avoiding see-through or revealing clothing. In addition, visitors should dress appropriately and respect the local customs when visiting the temples.
It’s also a good idea to bring comfortable walking shoes for exploring the city and outdoor activities. Flip flops, sandals, and open-toe shoes are also great for beach and island hopping.